Definition of Genus Dasypus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Dasypodidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Dasypodidae, Family Dasypodidae
Member holonyms: Dasypus Novemcinctus, Nine-banded Armadillo, Peba, Texas Armadillo
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Dasypus
Literary usage of Genus Dasypus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of Carnivorous, Pachydermatous, and Edentate Mammalia in the by John Edward Gray (1869)
"276, 1854, divides the genus Dasypus of Linne into two subgenera— Dasypus and ... and synonymous with the genus Dasypus as restricted by Wagler. Fam. 3. ..."
2. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1865)
"Dr. Burmeister, in ' System. Uebers. der Thiere Brasiliens,' p. 276, 1854, divides the genus Dasypus of Linné into two subgenera—Dasypus and ..."
3. Catalogue of the Fossil Mammalia in the British Museum, (Natural History) by Richard Lydekker (1887)
"... be distinguished from the corresponding portion of the covering of the existing race. Bravard Collection. Purchased, 1854. Genus DASYPUS, Linn.0 Syn. ..."
4. The Critical Review, Or, Annals of Literature by Tobias George Smollett (1801)
"The genus dasypus (armadillo) offers also nothing to detain-us, except to observe that it were desirable the specific distinctions should rest on ..."