Definition of Genus Dasyurus
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Dasyuridae: native cats.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Dasyuridae, Family Dasyuridae, Family Dasyurinae
Member holonyms: Dasyure
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Dasyurus
Literary usage of Genus Dasyurus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Magazine of Natural History edited by John Claudius Loudon, Edward Charlesworth, John Denson (1840)
"... which M. Temminck' separates from the genus Dasyurus of Geof- froy S. Hilaire,2 under the name Phascogale; the type of this genus being the Didelphis ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"It belongs to the genus Dasyurus, in which are also several other and smaller species. Perhaps the most interesting of the small ..."
3. Austral English: A Dictionary of Australasian Words, Phrases, and Usages by Edward Ellis Morris (1898)
"... but the name is now strictly allotted to the genus Dasyurus, or Native Cat. Date, Native, n. a Queensland fruit, Capparis canescens, Banks, ..."
4. Catalogue of the Fossil Mammalia in the British Museum, (Natural History) by Richard Lydekker (1887)
"Genus DASYURUS, E. Geoffroy '. Dentition :—1.1, C. |, Pm. |, M. ^. The two premolare have been shown by Thomas to correspond to the first and third of the ..."
5. Catalogue of the Hunterian Collection in the Museum of the Royal College of by Museum, Royal College of Surgeons in London (1831)
"456. Skull of a Virginian Opossum. Didelphis Virginiana. 457. Skull of a Virginian Opossum. Didelphis Virginiana. Genus DASYURUS. ..."
6. Journal of Anatomy and Physiology (1869)
"... the animals of the genus Dasyurus are distinguished from those of Phascogale, by possessing but two premolars on each side above and below, ..."