Definition of Genus Piper
1. Noun. Type genus of the Piperaceae: large genus of chiefly climbing tropical shrubs.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Genus, Magnoliopsid Genus
Group relationships: Family Piperaceae, Pepper Family, Piperaceae
Member holonyms: Pepper Vine, True Pepper, Black Pepper, Common Pepper, Madagascar Pepper, Pepper, Piper Nigrum, White Pepper, Long Pepper, Piper Longum, Betel, Betel Pepper, Piper Betel, Cubeb, Cubeb Vine, Java Pepper, Piper Cubeba
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Piper
Literary usage of Genus Piper
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Pharmaceutical Journal by Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain (1844)
"OBSERVATIONS ON CERTAIN PLANTS OF THE genus Piper. BY MR. TRN MORSON. The next pepper of general use in Europe is the Piper longum, which is also in our ..."
2. The Edinburgh Journal of Science by David Brewster (1825)
"... other they are seen projected among those external objects to which the eyeball is directed. AET. II.—An Account of a Plant allied to the genus Piper. ..."
3. Spices by Henry Nicholas Ridley (1912)
"CHAPTER VIII PEPPERS THE true peppers all belong to the genus Piper, order Piperaceae, ... The genus Piper contains a very large number of plants, ..."
4. Exotic Flora: Containing Figures and Descriptions of New, Rare Or Otherwise by Sir William Jackson Hooker (1823)
"The individuals belonging to the genus Piper are, as this learned traveller ... United with the genus Piper, as it stands in ROEMER and SCHULTZ'S 'Syst. ..."
5. The Treasury of Botany: A Popular Dictionary of the Vegetable Kingdom; with by John Lindley (1866)
"... another fruit formerly referred, like the two last-mentioned, to the genus Piper, Is now considered ..."