Definition of Genus Pieris
1. Noun. Decorative evergreen shrubs of woody vines.
Generic synonyms: Dilleniid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Ericaceae, Family Ericaceae, Heath Family
Member holonyms: Andromeda, Japanese Andromeda, Lily-of-the-valley Tree, Pieris Japonica, Fetterbush, Mountain Andromeda, Mountain Fetterbush, Pieris Floribunda
2. Noun. Type genus of the Pieridae.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Pieridae, Pieridae
Member holonyms: Pieris Rapae, Small White, Large White, Pieris Brassicae, Cabbageworm, Pieris Rapae
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Pieris
Literary usage of Genus Pieris
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Hand-book to the Order Lepidoptera by William Forsell Kirby (1896)
"... and striped with reddish-brown on the sides. The pupa (vol. i. pi. 3, fig. 4) is yellow or white, streaked and spotted with black. genus Pieris. ..."
2. Foreign Butterflies by James Duncan (1858)
"genus Pieris. ACCORDING to the definition which it has been found necessary to give to this genus ..."
3. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1872)
"... and shall not pretend to be especially original in our descriptions or remarks. The genus Pieris is represented in Canada by but three species ..."
4. An Elementary Course in Practical Zoölogy by Buel Preston Colton (1898)
"The cabbage butterfly belongs to the family Papilion- idae, genus Pieris, ... There are several species of the genus Pieris, just as there rnay be several ..."
5. Zoology: Descriptive and Practical by Buel Preston Colton (1903)
"The cabbage butterfly belongs to the family Pieridae, genus Pieris, species rapae. There are several species of the genus Pieris, just as there may be ..."
6. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1872)
"AG BUTLER ON THE genus Pieris. ... I recognize fifteen genera as having formed parts of the great genus Pieris as employed in Doubleday, Westwood, ..."
7. Zoölogy, Descriptive and Practical by Buel Preston Colton (1905)
"The cabbage butterfly belongs to the family Pieridae, genus Pieris, ... There are several species of the genus Pieris, just as there may be several persons ..."
8. The Butterflies of the Eastern United States and Canada: With Special by Samuel Hubbard Scudder, William Morris Davis, Charles William Woodworth, Leland Ossian Howard, Charles Valentine Riley, Samuel Wendell Williston (1889)
"... 1160 Pontia protodice 1163 genus Pieris 1171 EXCURSUS XLVI. The Spread of a Butterfly in a new Region (with a map) . ..."