Definition of Genus Pinnotheres
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Pinnotheridae: pea crabs.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Pinnotheridae, Pinnotheridae
Member holonyms: Pea Crab, Oyster Crab, Pinnotheres Ostreum
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Pinnotheres
Literary usage of Genus Pinnotheres
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1900)
"Carapace thin, membranaceous, yielding to slight pressure P.faba (Dana), AP Genus Pinnotheres Latreille. Key to Species. A. Palm widening towards the distal ..."
2. Transactions of the Linnean Society of London by Linnean Society of London (1855)
"I allude to the genus Pinnotheres, which in the work above mentioned is associated with the families ..."
3. Quarterly Journal of Microscopical Science edited by Biologists Limited, The Company of. (1868)
"As to Crustacea, M. Semper mentions, besides some small Copepods, two species of the genus Pinnotheres, which lives, as is well known, ordinarily as a ..."
4. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Charles Hamilton Smith, Edward Pidgeon, John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1833)
"... the paguri, and the species of our genus pinnotheres, properly so called. We must not apply, as some authors have done, to these last crustacea, ..."