Definition of Tursiops
1. Noun. A genus of Delphinidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Delphinidae, Family Delphinidae
Member holonyms: Bottle-nosed Dolphin, Bottlenose, Bottlenose Dolphin
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tursiops
Literary usage of Tursiops
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Synopsis of the Mammals of North America and Adjacent Seas by Daniel Giraud Elliot (1901)
"... 393,-450; height of dorsal, 177,-203; blow hole to end of nose, 33O,-356. 21—21 23. tursiops. to -5 2' = 84 to 100. 25—25 tursiops. Gerv. Hist. Nat. ..."
2. The Marine Mammals in the Anatomical Museum of the University of Edinburgh by William Turner (1912)
"Scapula, left; posterior angle, coracoid and acromion injured. From No. 1. (2) tursiops ... Habitat, north-east coast Australia. Not so large as tursiops ..."
3. Catalogue of Mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta by John Anderson, William Lutley Sclater, Indian Museum (1891)
"Skull Medical College, Calcutta, ASB c. Skeleton Port Natal OL Fräser. A. Skull Bay of Bengal Capt. Fairweather, ASB tursiops ..."
4. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1904)
"4 I am unable to find reference to any Greenland specimens of tursiops in the museums ... The correct name for the bottlenosed porpoise is probably tursiops ..."
5. Bulletin by United States National Museum (1889)
"tursiops gillii Dali. (From Scammon, Marine Mammalia, 1874, p. ... (From the type-skull, No 12054, in the US National Museum.) GENUS tursiops. ..."
6. The Annals of Scottish Natural History (1902)
"Bottle-nosed Dolphins in the Moray Firth.—-Four years ago I sent a note to the " Annals " about the stranding of four Bottle-nosed Dolphins (tursiops ..."