Definition of Genus Uria
1. Noun. Murres.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Alcidae, Family Alcidae
Member holonyms: Murre
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Uria
Literary usage of Genus Uria
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Journal of Anatomy and Physiology by Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland (1889)
"Now, although this material will not admit of a very exhaustive comparison of the skeletons of all the species and subspecies of this genus Uria, ..."
2. The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language by William Dwight Whitney (1889)
"A bird of the genus Uria of Brisson, or of either of the genera Urin and ... The birds of the restricted genus Uria are smaller and otherwise distinct; ..."
3. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1868)
"... are all included in the genus Uria ; the type of the genus—grylle—is re-named " scapularis. ..."
4. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Charles Knight (1838)
"... enters the family of Alcada by means of the genus Uria (Briss.), which was originally included in the ..."
5. Key to North American Birds: Containing a Concise Account of Every Species by Elliott Coues (1872)
"Genus URIA Brisson. %* Tarsi entirely reticulate, little, if any, shorter than middle toe without its claw ; bill straight, smooth, about equal to tarsus ..."