Definition of Genus Raja
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Rajidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Rajidae, Rajidae
Member holonyms: Gray Skate, Grey Skate, Raja Batis, Little Skate, Raja Erinacea, Raja Radiata, Thorny Skate, Barndoor Skate, Raja Laevis
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Raja
Literary usage of Genus Raja
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Geological Magazine by Henry Woodward (1889)
"The RAJID^E is also only represented by the genus Raja. The type specimens of three species, also from the Lebanon, are in the collection, ..."
2. Trübner's Bibliographical Guide to American Literature: A Classed List of by Nikolaus Triibner (1859)
"... discovered in the Atlantic Ocean, in the months of March and April, 1816, Description of three New Species of the genus Raja, by CA Le Sueur. ..."
3. A Bibliography of Fishes by Bashford Dean, Eugene Willis Gudger, American Museum of Natural History, Arthur Wilbur Henn (1917)
"... Description of three new species of the genus Raja. Journ. Acad. Nat. Sei Philad., 1817, ns 1, 41-45. 3 pis. 1817.4 — Description of two new species of ..."
4. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"Most of the species belong to the typical genus Raja, and these are especially numerous on the coasts of all northern regions, where they are largely used ..."
5. Reports of the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey (1907)
"Genus RAJA Linnaeus. Skates. In this genus the caudal fin is absent or very small, the ventrals are deeply divided, the teeth are in numerous series in each ..."