Definition of Monocotyledonae
1. Noun. Comprising seed plants that produce an embryo with a single cotyledon and parallel-veined leaves: includes grasses and lilies and palms and orchids; divided into four subclasses or superorders: Alismatidae; Arecidae; Commelinidae; and Liliidae.
Generic synonyms: Class
Member holonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus, Endogen, Liliopsid, Monocot, Monocotyledon, Alismatidae, Subclass Alismatidae, Arecidae, Subclass Arecidae, Commelinidae, Subclass Commelinidae, Liliidae, Subclass Liliidae, Alismales, Naiadales, Order Alismales, Order Naiadales
Group relationships: Angiospermae, Anthophyta, Class Angiospermae, Division Anthophyta, Division Magnoliophyta, Magnoliophyta
Lexicographical Neighbors of Monocotyledonae
Literary usage of Monocotyledonae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1914)
"world-wide distribution as have several families of Monocotyledonae and ... this habit does not characterize whole families as among the Monocotyledonae. ..."
2. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1905)
"... widely divergent 'groups in the Monocotyledonae and Dicotyledonae and there is every reason to believe that it is widespread in the angio- sperms. ..."
3. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1896)
"Conspectus Florae Fennicae, af Hjalmar Hjelt. Part I, Pteridophyta et Gymnospermae, 108 pp., map of Finland. Part II, Monocotyledonae. Pp. 109-258. Vol. ..."
4. The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science by Iowa Academy of Science (1907)
"39. Juniperus sabina, L. Swedish juniper. Occasionally cultivated in the State. Poisonous, like the preceding species. Monocotyledonae. ..."