Definition of Monocanthus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Monocanthidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Monocanthidae, Monocanthidae
Member holonyms: Leatherfish, Leatherjacket
Lexicographical Neighbors of Monocanthus
Literary usage of Monocanthus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington by Biological Society of Washington (1882)
"ANGEL-FISH ; SPADE-FISH. Two specimens, each 2 inches long, from Hampton Roads ; two, 2 and 2.1 inches long, from near Ocean View. 52. Monocanthus hispidus ..."
2. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales by Linnean Society of New South Wales (1878)
"Monocanthus PERONII. I have obtained a specimen of this sort from Hobson's Bay. which would be according to Dr. Gunther a male; it has on each side of the ..."
3. Austral English: A Dictionary of Australasian Words, Phrases, and Usages by Edward Ellis Morris (1898)
"... and numerous other species of Monocanthus. Leather- Jackets are wide-spread in Australian seas. The name is given elsewhere to other fishes. ..."
4. The Chinese Repository by Elijah Coleman Bridgman, S. W. Williams (1840)
"Monocanthus, or one horned file fish. These are distinguished from the preceding by the single immoveable, dorsal spine ; both are remarkable for their ..."