Definition of Columbus
1. Noun. The state capital of Ohio; located in the center of the state; site of Ohio State University.
Terms within: Ohio State University
Generic synonyms: State Capital
Group relationships: Buckeye State, Oh, Ohio
2. Noun. Italian navigator who discovered the New World in the service of Spain while looking for a route to China (1451-1506).
Generic synonyms: Navigator
Derivative terms: Columbian
3. Noun. A town in eastern Mississippi near the border with Alabama.
4. Noun. A city in western Georgia on the Chattahoochee River; industrial center.
Definition of Columbus
1. Proper noun. ( male given name). ¹
2. Proper noun. Christopher Columbus (1451?-1506), Italian explorer of the Americas. ¹
3. Proper noun. One of various cities in the USA, among others the capital of Ohio. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Columbus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Columbus
Literary usage of Columbus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Publishers Weekly by Publishers' Board of Trade (U.S.), Book Trade Association of Philadelphia, American Book Trade Union, Am. Book Trade Association, R.R. Bowker Company (1893)
"Columbus, Christopher. The letter of Columbus on :be discovery of America: ... Lenei ;, — Writings of Christopher Columbus descriptive of TJM discovery and ..."
2. Annual Report by Ohio State Board of Agriculture (1909)
"The Columbus Steel Range Co., Columbus, О Ranges and natural gas ovens. ... Stallman Trunk Factory, Columbus, О Dresser trunks, telescopes and satchels. ..."
3. The North American Review by Making of America Project, Jared Sparks, Edward Everett, James Russell Lowell, Henry Cabot Lodge (1824)
"Memorials of (Columbus?—Tins curious volume was lately published for the first time at Genoa, and issued a few months ago from the English press. ..."
4. The Rebellion Record: A Diary of American Events by Frank Moore, Edward Everett (1868)
"At Columbus the four companies Fourth Iowa cavalry, which were pushed over the bridge (mounted) immediately after it was in our possession, ..."
5. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1892)
"Controversies surround the biography of Columbus from his cradle. ... We aught finally to settle the landfall of Columbus, and also to clear away a ..."