Definition of Columba fasciata
1. Noun. Wild pigeon of western North America; often mistaken for the now extinct passenger pigeon.
Generic synonyms: Pigeon
Group relationships: Columba, Genus Columba
Columba Fasciata Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Columba Fasciata Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Columba Fasciata
Literary usage of Columba fasciata
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"Columba fasciata SAY. RANGE. — Western North America from southwestern British Columbia ... Columba fasciata SAY, in LONG'S Exped., II, 1823, 10 (note). ..."
2. List of the Specimens of Birds in the Collection of the British Museum by George Robert Gray (1856)
"Columba fasciata. The white-banded Pigeon. Columba fasciata, Say, in Long's Exp. Rocky Mount. ..."
3. American Ornithology, Or, The Natural History of the Birds of the United States by Alexander Wilson, Charles Lucian Bonaparte, Robert Jameson, George Ord, William Maxwell Hetherington (1831)
"Columba fasciata, SAY. BONAPARTE, Plate vin. FIG. 3 — Columba fasciata, Say, t'e Long's Expedition to the Rocky Mountains, 2, p. 10. Philadelphia Museum, No ..."
4. The Bird Book: Illustrating in Natural Colors More Than Seven Hundred North by Chester Albert Reed (1914)
"Columba fasciata fasciata. Range.—The Rocky Mountains and westward to the Pacific, from British Columbia south to Mexico. This large species may be ..."
5. Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York by New York Academy of Sciences (1828)
"Columba fasciata, Say. Purplish-cinereous ; a white band on the nucha ; tail with a blackish band near the middle; bill yellow, black at tip. ..."
6. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1876)
"Columba fasciata, Ectopistes migratorias. It may be remarked in regard to these species that the ... Columba fasciata was not satisfactorily identified. ..."