Definition of Rana catesbeiana
1. Noun. Largest North American frog; highly aquatic with a deep-pitched voice.
Medical Definition of Rana catesbeiana
1. A species of the family ranidae (true frogs). The only anuran properly referred to by the common name "bullfrog", it is the largest native anuran in north america. (12 Dec 1998)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rana Catesbeiana
Literary usage of Rana catesbeiana
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. North American Anura: Life-histories of the Anura of Ithaca, New Yorkby Albert Hazen Wright by Albert Hazen Wright (1914)
"Bullfrog (rana catesbeiana). A series from the first season's tadpole (three ... Bullfrog (rana catesbeiana). An egg-film, U feet in diameter. that of the ..."
2. Animal Euthanasia: Bibliography, January 1990-November 1997 edited by Michael D. Kreger (1999)
"Descriptors: veterinary; rana catesbeiana 94. NAL Call No.: 41.8 T431 [Euthanasia of bullfrogs (rana catesbeiana)] Zwart, P. Tijdschrift voor ..."
3. Report (1905)
"rana catesbeiana.—Olivet. Kalamazoo, Van Buren, Antrim, Montcalm, Kent, Ottawa, Barry and St. Joseph Counties. •20. Ground Snake. ..."
4. Biodiversity and the Management of the Madrean Archipelago: The Sky Islands edited by Leonard F. DeBano (1999)
"Decline of ranid frog species in western North America: are bullfrogs (Rana catesbeiana) responsible? Journal of Herpetology 20:490-509. ..."