Definition of Mental deficiency
1. Noun. Mild mental retardation.
Generic synonyms: Backwardness, Mental Retardation, Retardation, Slowness, Subnormality
Medical Definition of Mental deficiency
1. Subnormal intellectual functioning which originates during the developmental period and is associated with impairment of one or more of the following: (1) maturation, (2) learning, (3) social adjustment. (12 Dec 1998)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mental Deficiency
Literary usage of Mental deficiency
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Deficiency and Delinquency: An Interpretation of Mental Testing by James Burt Miner (1918)
"B. FORMS OF mental deficiency NOT YET DISCOVERABLE BY TESTS. The first broad conclusion that impresses those who try to use mental scales for diagnosing ..."
2. Mentally Defective Children by Alfred Binet (1914)
"Would the mental deficiency respond to Medical Treatment ?—Cannot the doctor prescribe something to cure the mental deficiency or want of balance ? ..."
3. The Psychology of Subnormal Children by Leta Stetter Hollingworth (1920)
"The Royal Commission of Great Britain, which investigated the question of mental deficiency in 1904, adopted a definition of mental deficiency which was ..."
4. Assessing Psychopathology and Behavior Problems in Persons With Mental (1994)
"In NR Ellis (Ed.), The handbook of mental deficiency (2nd éd., pp. 431-481). ... Monographs of American Association on mental deficiency #1. ..."
5. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1911)
"Psychology of mental deficiency. BT Baldwin. 11. Pop. Scl. 79: 82-93. Jl. 41. Relation of biology to agriculture. FR Marshall. Pop. Scl. 78: 539-53. Je. 41. ..."
6. Preventive Medicine and Hygiene by Milton Joseph Rosenau, George Chandler Whipple, John William Trask, Thomas William Salmon (1921)
"Tredgold • found, in a series of 20' cases in "which he very carefully investigated the family histories, tha G4.5 per cent, had mental deficiency, ..."
7. The Elements of Scientific Psychology by Knight Dunlap (1922)
"APPENDIX I mental deficiency AND MENTAL DISEASE §1. ... The detailed discussion of mental disease and mental deficiency belongs to the extensive topic of ..."