Definition of Green river
1. Noun. A river that rises in western Wyoming and flows southward through Utah to become a tributary of the Colorado River.
Group relationships: Beehive State, Mormon State, Ut, Utah, Equality State, Wy, Wyoming
Generic synonyms: River
Lexicographical Neighbors of Green River
Literary usage of Green river
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin by Harvard University Museum of Comparative Zoology (1905)
"THE green river BASIN, WYOMING. — The following notes on this interesting district are based on two half-day walks over the hills north and east of Green ..."
2. The Adventures of Captain Bonneville, U. S. A., in the Rocky Mountains and by Washington Irving (1849)
"Return to green river valley—Meeting with Fitzpatrick's party—their ... Their route lay up the green river valley, with that stream on their right hand, ..."
3. A Canyon Voyage: The Narrative of the Second Powell Expedition Down the by Frederick Samuel Dellenbaugh (1908)
"THE upper continuation of the Colorado River of the West is green river which heads in the Wind River Mountains at Fremont Peak. From this range southward ..."
4. The American Fur Trade of the Far West: A History of the Pioneer Trading by Hiram Martin Chittenden (1902)
"The upper course of green river was a great place of rendezvous for the ... That part of the stream now called the green river was very commonly known, ..."
5. Works by Washington Irving (1895)
"Their route lay up the green river Valley, with that stream on their right hand, and beyond it, the range of Wind River Mountains. ..."
6. Echoes from the Rocky Mountains: Reminiscences and Thrilling Incidents of by John Wesley Clampitt (1888)
"MIDNIGHT ADVENTURES UPON green river — CROSSING THE TURBID STREAM IN A ... ON the banks of green river, at that point on the line of the old stage road ..."
7. The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States by Henry Gannett (1905)
"The river in Wyoming and Utah wax so called from the green shale through which it flows. Green; river rising in the Wind River range of the Rocky Mountains, ..."
8. The Rebellion Record: A Diary of American Events, with Documents, Narratives by Frank Moore, Edward Everett (1862)
"SKIRMISH ON green river, KY., FEBRUARY 1, 1862. ... Forty-first regiment Indiana volunteers, fighting on green river, near Bowling (¡reen, Ky. ..."