Definition of Genus Verbena
1. Noun. Type genus of the Verbenaceae; genus of herbaceous perennials and subshrubs.
Group relationships: Family Verbenaceae, Verbena Family, Verbenaceae, Vervain Family
Member holonyms: Verbena, Vervain, Lantana
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Verbena
Literary usage of Genus Verbena
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Botanical Miscellany: Containing Figures and Descriptions of Such Plants as by William Jackson Hooker (1830)
"THE temperate parts of South America appear to be particularly abundant in the genus Verbena, and it may probably be there considered to have its maximum. ..."
2. A Dictionary of Science, Literature, & Art: Comprising the Definitions and by William Thomas Brande, George William Cox (1867)
"The trfi- cal genus, Verbena, furnishes one of tho inert beautiful and popular of our garden flowers. The remarkable virtues which the common Vervain, ..."
3. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Charles Knight (1843)
"... is administered as a cooling drink in fevers, slight catarrhs, &c. It has been separated from the genus Verbena by Palau, and is called by him .-il'-. ..."
4. Favourite Flowers of Garden and Greenhouse by Edward Step (1897)
"... genus Verbena VERBENA (Latin, the classical name, signifying altar herbs). A genus of about eighty species of herbs or under-shrubs, annual or perennial ..."
5. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.), Wild Flower Preservation Society of America (1902)
"The verbena of our gardens, belonging to the genus Verbena, is a characteristic plant of this family. Besides the ornamental species of cultivation having ..."