Definition of Genus Trichoglossus
1. Noun. A genus of Loriinae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Loriinae, Subfamily Loriinae
Member holonyms: Rainbow Lorikeet, Trichoglossus Moluccanus
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Trichoglossus
Literary usage of Genus Trichoglossus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1896)
"... nectar and small insects from the bottom of flowers, and the flower-frequenting Parrots of the genus Trichoglossus also have a brushy tongue. ..."
2. The Cruise of the Marchesa to Kamschatka & New Guinea by Francis Henry Hill Guillemard (1889)
"... but among them we found a rare bird of the latter genus (Trichoglossus rosenbergi) , and several other beautiful lories, which we were glad enough to ..."
3. Handbook to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1865)
"... passing into black at the extremity; irides rich hazel-yellow; feet flesh-brown; bill horn-colour. Genus TRICHOGLOSSUS, Vigors and Horsfield. ..."
4. A Catalogue of the Birds in the Museum of the Hon. East-India Company by East India Company Museum (1858)
"Baja Lory, Shaw. KALA-SIBA LORI, Bengal, Blyth. A. and Drawing. Moluccas. From Finlayson's Collection. Genus TRICHOGLOSSUS, Vigors et Hors/., Tram. Linn. ..."
5. Zoological Recreations by William John Broderip (1849)
"Then there is the lovely genus Trichoglossus.* Like the humming-birds, those Peris of the feathered race, the food of these charming parakeets is, ..."