Definition of Arkansas
1. Noun. A state in south central United States; one of the Confederate states during the American Civil War.
Terms within: Hot Springs National Park, Fayetteville, Fort Smith, Hot Springs, Jonesboro, Capital Of Arkansas, Little Rock, Pine Bluff, Texarkana, Arkansas River, Ouachita, Ouachita River, Ozark Mountains, Ozark Plateau, Ozarks, Saint Francis, Saint Francis River, St. Francis, St. Francis River, White, White River
Generic synonyms: American State
Group relationships: America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa
Group relationships: Confederacy, Confederate States, Confederate States Of America, Dixie, Dixieland, South
2. Noun. A river that rises in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and flows southeast through Kansas and Oklahoma and through Arkansas to become a tributary of the Mississippi River.
Group relationships: Ar, Land Of Opportunity, Centennial State, Co, Colorado, Kansas, Ks, Sunflower State, Ok, Oklahoma, Sooner State
Generic synonyms: River
Definition of Arkansas
1. Proper noun. A state of the United States of America. Postal code: AR, capital: Little Rock. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Arkansas
Literary usage of Arkansas
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Constitution of the United States of America: With an Alphabetical by William Hickey, United States (1854)
"An act to fix the western boundary line of the territory of arkansas, and for other purposes, was passed May 26, 1824. An act to run and mark a line ..."
2. The Federal and State Constitutions: Colonial Charters, and Other Organic by Francis N. Thorpe, United States (1909)
"And be it further ordained by the authority aforesaid, That the general assembly of the State of arkansas shall never interfere ..."
3. The Journal of Geology by University of Chicago Department of Geology and Paleontology (1897)
"THE geological survey of arkansas was begun in June 1887. In that month I discovered some of the bauxite beds of Pulaski county, but the nature of these ..."
4. Roughing It by Mark Twain (2001)
"arkansas." what you know about Pennsylvania, since you're makin' yourself so d—d free. ... Said Johnson, backing into a corner, arkansas following, ..."
5. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1912)
"Judgment in ejectment under arkansas statute —effect as a bar. A final Judgment In ejectment, where the title was the subject of controversy prosecuted ..."
6. United States Statutes at Large: Containing the Laws and Concurrent by United States (1850)
"An act enabling the claimants to land within the limits of the state of Missouri and territory of arkansas to institute proceedings tn try the validity of ..."