Definition of Arkansas River
1. Noun. A river that rises in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and flows southeast through Kansas and Oklahoma and through Arkansas to become a tributary of the Mississippi River.
Group relationships: Ar, Arkansas, Land Of Opportunity, Centennial State, Co, Colorado, Kansas, Ks, Sunflower State, Ok, Oklahoma, Sooner State
Generic synonyms: River
Lexicographical Neighbors of Arkansas River
Literary usage of Arkansas River
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1872)
"On the other hand, the Confederate force tip the Arkansas river had shown considerable activity by sallies in which they had captured two steamers bearing ..."
2. Supreme Court Reporter by Robert Desty, United States Supreme Court, West Publishing Company (1907)
"The Arkansas river is a mear.dered stream through the state of Kansas, and under the laws and departmental rules and regulations of the United States it is ..."
3. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1907)
"The Arkansas river is a meandered stream through the state of Kansas, and under the laws and departmental rules and regulations of the United States it is a ..."
4. The Great Rebellion: A History of the Civil War in the United States by Joel Tyler Headley (1866)
"... or Arkansas Post, on the Arkansas River, which was considered the key to Little Rock, the Capital of the State, and to the extensive country from which ..."
5. Notes of a Military Reconnoissance, from Fort Leavenworth, in Missouri, to by William Hemsley Emory (1848)
"Kanzas river, Arkansas river, and Purgatory creek. Rubus occidentalis. Missouri river and Kaw river, ... Pawnee fork, Arkansas river, and Canadian river. ..."
6. Pioneers and Makers of Arkansas by Josiah Hazen Shinn (1908)
"EARLY SETTLERS ON THE RIVERS OF EASTERN ARKANSAS AND ON THE Arkansas River. When we consider that but four hundred years have elapsed since the first white ..."
7. The Mines of Colorado by Ovando James Hollister (1867)
"Lake County—Its Characteristics, Settlements—Arkansas River— Mining Districts, ... It embraces the sources of the Arkansas River, and the course and ..."
8. Early Western Travels, 1748-1846: A Series of Annotated Reprints of Some of by Reuben Gold Thwaites (1907)
"Quicksand, in Arkansas River, XIX, 214, XX, 155; Canadian River, XVI, 176; Columbia, XXI, 288, XXIX, 48, 88, 89; Kanawha, XIV, 83; Missouri, XXII, 151; ..."