Definition of Turkomen
1. Noun. A republic in Asia to the east of the Caspian Sea and to the south of Kazakhstan and to the north of Iran; an Asian soviet from 1925 to 1991.
Group relationships: Cis, Commonwealth Of Independent States
Generic synonyms: Country, Land, State
Terms within: Ashkhabad, Capital Of Turkmenistan, Kara Kum, Qara Qum, Turkestan Desert
Group relationships: Asia
Lexicographical Neighbors of Turkomen
Literary usage of Turkomen
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Journey Through Persia, Armenia, and Asia Minor, to Constantinople, in the by James Justinian Morier (1816)
"... was accordingly much more advanced than in any previous part of the country. There is a small village to the S. of Turkomen ..."
2. The Journal of Heredity by American Genetic Association (1914)
"Alas! as there are no honest Turkomen on earth, I lost my money. As foreigners are forbidden entrance to the military towns of ..."
3. The Mirror of Literature, Amusement, and Instruction by Reuben Percy, John Timbs (1842)
"Even Ibrahim Pasha, who disarmed many tribes of Kurds and Arabs, left to the Turkomen, like the Druses, their ancient privilege of carrying arms. ..."
4. Sketches of Army Life in Russia by Francis Vinton Greene (1881)
"He rode on as cautiously as possible, and had the good luck to fall into the hands of some Kirghiz allies of the Russians, instead of the hostile Turkomen. ..."