Definition of Tehran
1. Noun. The capital and largest city of Iran; located in northern Iran.
Generic synonyms: National Capital
Group relationships: Iran, Islamic Republic Of Iran, Persia
Definition of Tehran
1. Proper noun. The capital city of Iran. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tehran
Literary usage of Tehran
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Report of the Congressional Committees Investigating the Iran/Contra Affair by Lee H. Hamilton, Daniel K. Inouye (1995)
"Chapter 13 Deadlock in Tehran The Presidentially approved McFarlane mission ... As a result, the Tehran mission ended in acrimonious confrontation with the ..."
2. Memoirs and Correspondence of Viscount Castlereagh, Second Marquess of by Robert Stewart Castlereagh (1851)
"Extract of a Letter, date June 8, from Coja Andreas, at Tehran, and received the 23rd. Aka Mohammed Nebu Khan presented to ..."
3. An Almanack for the Year of Our Lord by Joseph Whitaker (1869)
"The Persian Press consists of a large number of Tehran and provincial ... Two Tehran dailies and three weeklies have circulations exceeding 20000 copies. ..."
4. Handbook for Travellers in Russia, Poland, and Finland: Including the Crimea by Thomas Michell (1888)
"Sport of every kind in the neighbourhood of Tehran is good. ... This route to Tehran is taken by travellers who desire to see something of Armenia. ..."
5. Through Persia by Caravan by R. Arthur Arnold (1877)
"Tehran—Street of the Foreign Envoys—The British Minister—Lanterns of Ceremony—The English in Tehran—The Shah's Palace— Mirza Houssein Khan—The Sipar ..."
6. Iran: Time for a New Approach : Report of an Independent Task Force by Zbigniew Brzezinski, Robert Michael Gates, Suzanne Maloney (2004)
"With respect to Tehran, the efficacy of this approach was undermined by Iran's concurrent efforts to rebuild its relations with its neighbors and major ..."
7. Rambling Recollections by Sir Henry Drummond Wolff (1908)
"CHAPTER LXIII Illness—Minister in Persia—Journey to Tehran—Persian etymology— ... It was understood that I was not to leave for Tehran until I had ..."