Definition of Rhagoletis
1. Noun. A genus of Trypetidae.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Trephritidae, Family Trypetidae, Trephritidae, Trypetidae
Member holonyms: Apple Maggot, Railroad Worm, Rhagoletis Pomonella
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rhagoletis
Literary usage of Rhagoletis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin by Maine Agricultural Experiment Station (1916)
"INSECTS ATTACKING THE FRUIT DIRECTLY. THE APPLE MAGGOT Rhagoletis ... Rhagoletis pomonella in the adult form is a beautiful little black fly with banded ..."
2. Annual Report (1901)
"Several of the flies were captured and found to be a species described in 1862 as Rhagoletis cingulata, from the Middle States. This fly is thus a very near ..."
3. Sessional Papers by Ontario Legislative Assembly (1913)
"Black-bodied Cherry Fruit Fly (Rhagoletis fausta), much enlarged. ... Adult of the Apple Maggot or Railroad Worm (Rhagoletis pomonella), much enlarged. ..."
4. Bulletin by Maine Agricultural Experiment Station (1917)
"the apple maggot (Rhagoletis pomonella Walsh), the cherry fruit flies (Rhagoletis cingulata Loew. and Rhagoletis fausto OS), the currant fruit fly ..."
5. Biennial Report by California Dept. of Agriculture, California State Commission of Horticulture (1909)
"The following are worthy of mention: The apple maggot (Rhagoletis pomonella) and the cherry fruit fly (Rhagoletis cingulata) of the Eastern States would ..."