Definition of Platichthys
1. Noun. A genus of Pleuronectidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Pleuronectidae, Pleuronectidae
Member holonyms: European Flatfish, Platichthys Flesus
Lexicographical Neighbors of Platichthys
Literary usage of Platichthys
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reports of Explorations and Surveys: To Ascertain the Most Practicable and by United States War Dept, Joseph Henry, United States Army. Corps of Engineers, Spencer Fullerton Baird (1855)
"Lateral line slightly arched above the pectoral fins, hence straight to the base of the caudal. Svx.—Platichthys, GRD. in Proc. Acad. Nat. Sc. Philad. ..."
2. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1864)
"Platichthys Girard. Platichthys STELLATUS Girard. ... Platichthys rugosus Grd. " (stellatus) Grd. Hab ..."
3. Reports of Explorations and Surveys: To Ascertain the Most Practicable and by United States War Dept, Joseph Henry, United States Army. Corps of Engineers, Spencer Fullerton Baird (1857)
"Platichthys ... right side dull yellow. This and the following four species belong to the " Flounder" tribe. List of specimens. 40. Platichthys ..."
4. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1903)
"Thus the stony flounder (Platichthys) belongs to the dextral group. Fifty normal specimens, the eyes on the right, have the left nerve dorsal, ..."
5. American Food and Game Fishes: A Popular Account of All the Species Found in by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1902)
"... but is often seen in the markets. Its flesh is of delicate flavour and the fish finds a ready sale. The genus Platichthys contains a single species, ..."