Definition of Platalea
1. Noun. Type genus of the Plataleidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Plataleidae, Plataleidae
Member holonyms: Common Spoonbill, Platalea Leucorodia, Ajaia, Genus Ajaia
Lexicographical Neighbors of Platalea
Literary usage of Platalea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Handbook to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1865)
"Genus Platalea, Linnaeus. Widely distributed indeed are the members of this strikingly ... This fine species may be readily distinguished from the Platalea ..."
2. Reports of Explorations and Surveys: To Ascertain the Most Practicable and by United States War Dept, Joseph Henry, United States Army. Corps of Engineers, Spencer Fullerton Baird (1858)
"Platalea, L. Platalea, LINN. Syst. Nat. 1735. Type Platalea leucorodia. (Gray.) CH. ... Platalea AJAJA, Linn. Rosy Spoon-bill. Platalea ajaja, LINN. ..."
3. The Birds of America by John James] [Audubon (1843)
"Platalea AJAJA, Linn. PLATE CCCLXII.—ADULT MALI. This beautiful and singular bird, although a constant resident in the southern extremities of the peninsula ..."
4. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1898)
"51. plumage tinged throughout with rosy 3. AJAJA, p. 52. 1. Platalea. Platea, Brim. ... Platalea, Linn. Syst. ..."
5. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"(2) Platalea, Lin.(3) The Spoonbills approximate to the Storks in the whole of their structure; but their bill, whence they derive their name, is long, ..."
6. American Ornithology: Or The Natural History of the Birds of the United States by Alexander Wilson, Charles Lucian Bonaparte, Robert Jameson, George Ord, William Maxwell Hetherington (1831)
"... and dying for want of that food, which, in a state of nature at large, they were abundantly supplied with." GENUS LX PL AT ALE A. 245. Platalea ..."