Definition of Piranga rubra
1. Noun. Of middle and southern United States; male is deep rose-red the female mostly yellow.
Generic synonyms: Tanager
Group relationships: Genus Piranga, Piranga
Lexicographical Neighbors of Piranga Rubra
Literary usage of Piranga rubra
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1899)
"... Piranga rubra, — PRR Rep., IX, 1858, p. 300, where he cites it as a synonym of the bird now known as Piranga ..."
2. The Code of Nomenclature and Check-list of North American Birds Adopted by by American Ornithologists' Union (1886)
"Piranga rubra VIEILL. Ois. Am. Sept. I. 1807, p. iv. [B 221, C 108, R 164, C 155.] HAB. Eastern United States, to the Plains, north to Southern New Jersey ..."
3. North American Birds Eggs by Chester Albert Reed (1904)
"Piranga rubra. Range.—Eastern United States, breeding from the Gulf to New York and Kansas, and casually farther; west to Texas; winters south of our ..."
4. North American Birds Eggs by Chester Albert Reed (1904)
"Piranga rubra. Range.—Eastern United States, breeding from the Gulf to New York and Kansas, ... Size .92 x .64. i> i 0,i. Cooper Tanager. Piranga rubra ..."
5. The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language by William Dwight Whitney (1891)
"Scarlet tanager, Piranga rubra.tbe black- winged redbird of the United .... Scarlet Tanager (Piranga rubra), male. The female is olive-green above and ..."