Definition of Pipistrellus
1. Noun. Nearly cosmopolitan genus of very small bats.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Vespertilionidae, Vespertilionidae
Member holonyms: Pipistrel, Pipistrelle, Pipistrellus Pipistrellus, Eastern Pipistrel, Pipistrellus Subflavus, Spipistrellus Hesperus, Western Pipistrel
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pipistrellus
Literary usage of Pipistrellus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. East African Mammals in the United States National Museum by Ned Hollister (1918)
"(P. pipistrellus.) Five distinct species of the diminutive pipistrelles ... It seems best, therefore, to retain it within the limits of true Pipistrellus. ..."
2. The Families and Genera of Bats by Gerrit Smith Miller (1907)
"Vespertilio pipistrellus Schreber. Geographic distribution.—Entire mainland of Eastern ... About 40 species of Pipistrellus are now recognized. Characters. ..."
3. Monograph of the Asiatic Chiroptera: And Catalogue of the Species of Bats in by Indian Museum, George Edward Dobson (1876)
"Pipistrellus affinis, Dobson, PASB 1871, p. 213. Head flat; glands of the upper lip so developed as to cause a deep depression between them on the face ..."
4. The Barnacles (Cirripedia) Contained in the Collections of the U.S. National by Henry Augustus Pilsbry (1907)
"Genus Pipistrellus. Pipistrellus hesperus australis Miller. ... Pipistrellus cinnamomeus Miller. Biological Survey collection. Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci. ..."