Definition of North Borneo
1. Noun. A region of Malaysia in northeastern Borneo.
Generic synonyms: District, Dominion, Territorial Dominion, Territory
Group relationships: Borneo, Kalimantan, East Malaysia
Member holonyms: Sabahan
Derivative terms: Sabahan
Lexicographical Neighbors of North Borneo
Literary usage of North Borneo
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1888)
"On 27th August,, I left Sandakan, the capital of British North Borneo, in the steam launch Sabine, and entering the mouth of the ..."
2. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"BRITISH North Borneo OR SABAH Sabah is the name applied by the natives to certain portions of the territory situated on the north-western coast of the ..."
3. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1881)
"The earliest information of any value obtainable with regard to North Borneo seemed to be contained in a pamphlet written in 1769 by Mr. Alexander Dalrymple ..."
4. The Contemporary Review (1882)
"BRITISH North Borneo, OR SABAH. THE incessant comment and criticism, during the last few ... The story of the British North Borneo Company had, however, ..."
5. Report of the Annual Meeting (1885)
"The experiment in colonisation now being made in British North Borneo is attentively watched by other nations who have ..."
6. An Almanack for the Year of Our Lord by Joseph Whitaker (1869)
"North Borneo is to enter (as the State of Sabah) the new Federation of Malaysia, ... North Borneo Is favoured by a relatively cool climate for a place ..."
7. Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Standard Work of Reference in Art, Literature (1907)
"Several of the natural harbors of North Borneo, on the other hand, ... That North Borneo should prove rich in minerals was supposed probable from the ..."