Definition of Little Office
1. Noun. A Roman Catholic office honoring the Virgin Mary; similar to but shorter than the Divine Office.
Category relationships: Church Of Rome, Roman Catholic, Roman Catholic Church, Roman Church, Western Church
Lexicographical Neighbors of Little Office
Literary usage of Little Office
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"Such designations however qualify only the Little Office of the Blessed ... Of the cursus or Little Office of the Blessed Virgin we hear nothing until the ..."
2. The Cumulative Book Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1901)
"Meditations ou the psalms of the Little Office; with introd. by G: Tyrrell. D. 17-140p. net 75c. '00. imp. Herder. Perfect health. ..."
3. The Key of Paradise: Opening the Gate to Eternal Salvation (1804)
"The Little Office of St. At Matins. JESUS, MARIA, JOSEPH. LORD, open thou my lips. R. And ray mouth (hall declare t!i ..."
4. A Treatise on Diseases of the Anus, Rectum, and Pelvic Colon by James Percival Tuttle (1902)
"THE Little Office-LOUNGE CLOSED. bed of the lounge is 5 feet long and 2$ feet wide, and its mechanism is simple. When it is lifted up it forms a table 3£ ..."
5. My Story of the War: A Woman's Narrative of Four Years Personal Experience by Mary Ashton Rice Livermore (1896)
"... Packers — Sewing-Rooms for Soldiers' Families— " The Perfume of the Sanitary " — The dingy little Office — Immense Work performed In It — Judge Skinner, ..."
6. The Reading Public by MacGregor Jenkins (1914)
"back and forth in his little office while the eloquent negro talked. Suddenly he stopped and said, " No, I won't print another line of the material you are ..."
7. The Christian Remembrancer by William Scott (1855)
"The vernacular ' Little Office '—very little indeed in its bulk! ... The ' Little Office,' in short, is no office at all, in the proper sense )f the word. ..."