Definition of Lasiurus
1. Noun. A genus of Vespertilionidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Vespertilionidae, Vespertilionidae
Member holonyms: Lasiurus Borealis, Red Bat
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lasiurus
Literary usage of Lasiurus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Families and Genera of Bats by Gerrit Smith Miller (1907)
"Genus Lasiurus Gray. 1831. Lasiurus GHAY, Zoological Miscellany, No. 1, p. 38. 1870. ... About a dozen forms of Lasiurus are now recognized ..."
2. Natural History of the Mammalia of India and Ceylon by Robert Armitage Sterndale (1884)
"... Lasiurus. The Long-tailed Spiny Mouse (Jerdon's No. 198). HABITAT.—Southern India. DESCRIPTION.—Light rufescent brown; the under fur paler, ..."
3. Monograph of the Bats of North America by Harrison Allen (1864)
"Lasiurus pruinosus, TOMES, Proc. Zool. Soc. Lond. 1857, 37. Description.—Head large, flat and hairy. Sides of the face somewhat inflated, the tips slightly ..."
4. Biodiversity and the Management of the Madrean Archipelago: The Sky Islands edited by Leonard F. DeBano (1999)
"Capture records of Lasiurus cinereus are significantly higher in spring, suggesting this species may stop over during migration. ..."
5. Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio by Geological Survey of Ohio (1882)
"Zoöl. Bot., ii, 1828, 498. 1857. Lasiurus pruinosus, Tomes, PZS, 1857, 37. Lasiurus cinereus, H. Allen, Monog., 21 ; JA Allen, Bull. ..."