Definition of Columbiformes
1. Noun. Sand grouse; pigeons; doves; extinct dodos and solitaires.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Aves, Class Aves
Member holonyms: Columbiform Bird, Family Raphidae, Raphidae, Columbidae, Family Columbidae, Family Pteroclididae, Pteroclididae
Lexicographical Neighbors of Columbiformes
Literary usage of Columbiformes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences by California Academy of Sciences (1920)
"(Issued August 11, 1913) $1.00 (Columbiformes to Pelecaniformes). By Edward Winslow Gifford. Pages 133-202. IX. ..."
2. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1897)
"... the underlying spots being purplish-grey, and equally plentifully distributed. Axis, r9-2-2 inches; diam., 1-35-1-45. THE PIGEONS. ORDER Columbiformes. ..."
3. Birds' Nests: An Introduction to the Science of Caliology by Charles Dixon (1902)
"... the Falcons—Of certain Owls—Of the Coraciiformes — Of the Psittaciformes — Of the Cuculiformes — Of certain Cuckoos—Of the Columbiformes—Peculiarity in ..."
4. The Birds of North and Middle America: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Higher by Robert Ridgway (1919)
"N. Am. Birds,, 2 (includes Columbiformes).—KNOWLTON, Birds of the World,, 49, 350 (includes Pterocles and Columbiformes). ..."
5. The History of the Collections Contained in the Natural History Departments by British Museum (Natural History), Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1906)
"482 specimens of Columbiformes (Pigeons). (SG Reg., Vol. ... Salvin and Godman with a view of writing a monograph of the Columbiformes. ..."