Definition of Bison bison
1. Noun. Large shaggy-haired brown bison of North American plains.
Group relationships: Genus Bison
Generic synonyms: Bison
Terms within: Buffalo
Lexicographical Neighbors of Bison Bison
Literary usage of Bison bison
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. College zoology by Robert William Hegner (1918)
"The bison, Bison bison (Fig. 536), up to the year 1870, ranged over a large part of the Great ... —The American bison, Bison bison. (From Beddard.) (Fig. ..."
2. Additions to the Pleistocene Mammal Faunas of South Carolina, North Carolina by Albert E. Sanders (2002)
"Those include the modern Bison bison bison (Linnaeus) and Bison bison athabascae Rhoads, 1897, and five fossil forms: Bison latifrons (Harían, 1825); ..."
3. Ecosystem Disturbance and Wildlife Conservation in Western Grasslands: A edited by Deborah M. Finch (1998)
"To illustrate this, let us consider the distribution, abundance, and annual cycles of bison (Bison bison) and prairie dogs (Cynomys spp. ..."
4. American Animals: A Popular Guide to the Mammals of North America North of by Witmer Stone, William Everett Cram (1902)
"... 68 Bull Bison (Bison bison) 70 A Herd of American Bison (Bison bison) .... 72 Nest of Young Cottontails 76 Young Cottontail Among the Cabbages (Lepus ..."