Definition of Metacyesis
1. Noun. Pregnancy resulting from gestation elsewhere than in the uterus.
Generic synonyms: Gestation, Maternity, Pregnancy
Specialized synonyms: Abdominal Pregnancy, Ovarian Pregnancy, Tubal Pregnancy
Medical Definition of Metacyesis
1. Synonym: ectopic pregnancy. Origin: meta-+ G. Kyesis, pregnancy (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Metacyesis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Metacyesis
Literary usage of Metacyesis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Medical Lexicon: A Dictionary of Medical Science; Containing a Concise by Robley Dunglison (1874)
"E.xtra-uterina in ova- rio, Pregnancy, ovarian—g. Extra-uterina secun- daria, metacyesis — g. Interstitialis, Pregnancy, interstitial — g. ..."
2. A Manual of Obstetrics by William Alexander Newman Dorland (1896)
"... and the pregnancy may continue to term without interruption. By secondary abdominal pregnancy (metacyesis) is meant the more frequently encountered con- ..."
3. Medical Lexicon: A Dictionary of Medical Science ... with French and Other by Robley Dunglison (1860)
"Extra-uterina in Ova- rio, Pregnancy, ovarian — g. Extra-uterina Se- cundaria, metacyesis — g. Interstitialis, Pregnancy, interstitial—g. ..."
4. Lippincott's Medical dictionary: A Complete Vocabulary of the Terms Used in by Ryland W. Greene, Joseph Thomas (1906)
"... obtained by the action of potassium hydroxide on acrolein hy- drochloride. metacyesis (mef'^-sai-l'sis). [Gr. pera after, beyond 4- ..."