Definition of Genus Istiophorus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Istiophoridae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Istiophoridae, Istiophoridae
Member holonyms: Atlantic Sailfish, Istiophorus Albicans
Genus Istiophorus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Istiophorus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Istiophorus
Literary usage of Genus Istiophorus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reports of the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey (1907)
"Genus ISTIOPHORUS Lacepede. Sail-fishes. Form slender, much compressed, caudal peduncle narrow; skin rough and covered with small, elongate scales; ..."
2. American Food and Game Fishes: A Popular Account of All the Species Found in by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1902)
"Two genera, with about 5 species, oceanic, similar in character and habits to the swordfishes, but smaller in size. The genus Istiophorus contains a single ..."
3. A History of British Fishes by William Yarrell (1841)
"... the allied genus Istiophorus, which is limited in its range to more tropical seas. Mr. Scoresby states an instance of a ship from the coast of Africa, ..."
4. The Fishes of North Carolina by Hugh McCormick Smith (1907)
"Dorsal fin much higher than depth of body, and not divided in middle; ventral fins formed of 2 or 3 rays ISTIOPHORUS. Genus ISTIOPHORUS ..."