Definition of Genus Isoetes
1. Noun. Type and genus of the Isoetaceae and sole extant genus of the order Isoetales.
Generic synonyms: Fern Genus
Group relationships: Family Isoetaceae, Isoetaceae, Quillwort Family
Member holonyms: Quillwort
Genus Isoetes Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Isoetes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Isoetes
Literary usage of Genus Isoetes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Origin of a Land Flora: A Theory Based Upon the Facts of Alternation by Frederick Orpen Bower (1908)
"... the living genus Isoetes: this type has been found fossil in the Tertiaries, and back as far as the Lower Chalk, while in the Trias the curious fossil ..."
2. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1905)
"The Fern Bulletin, April: — Eggleston, "The Fern Flora of Vermont"; Clute, "What Constitutes a Species in the genus Isoetes"; Flett, "Observations on ..."
3. Studien zur Entwicklungsgeschichte des japanischen Riesensalamanders by Charles Stuart Gager, Daniel Lange (1916)
"Genus. Isoetes. Species. (eg, lacustris.} B. Habitat: Some forms grow on the bottom of ponds, others in moist meadows, or on the margins of bodies of water. ..."
4. Strasburger's Text-book of Botany by Eduard Strasburger, Hans Fitting (1921)
"... The isolated genus Isoetes must be regarded as a persistent branch of an ancient group of plants, which in earlier geological periods was more richly ..."