Definition of Dusty miller
1. Noun. Shrubby perennial of the Canary Islands having white flowers and leaves and hairy stems covered with dustlike down; sometimes placed in genus Chrysanthemum.
Generic synonyms: Composite, Composite Plant
Group relationships: Genus Tanacetum, Tanacetum
2. Noun. Stiff much-branched perennial of the Mediterranean region having very white woolly stems and leaves.
Group relationships: Genus Senecio, Senecio
Generic synonyms: Bush, Shrub
3. Noun. A plant having leaves and stems covered with down that resembles dust.
4. Noun. Herb with greyish leaves found along the east coast of North America; used as an ornamental plant.
Group relationships: Genus Artemisia
Generic synonyms: Wormwood
5. Noun. An old cottage garden plant of southeastern Europe widely cultivated for its attractive white woolly foliage and showy crimson flowers.
Generic synonyms: Catchfly, Lychnis
Definition of Dusty miller
1. Noun. (idiomatic) A formulaic phrase for a miller, related to the dust generated in the milling process. ¹
2. Noun. One of several species of plants with leaves of a dusty appearance: Centaurea cineraria, Senecio cineraria, and Lychnis coronaria. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Dusty Miller Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dusty Miller Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dusty Miller
Literary usage of Dusty miller
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Poems and Songs of Robert Burns by Robert Burns (1909)
"Hey, the dusty Miller, And his dusty sack; Leeze me on the calling Fills the dusty peck: Fills the dusty peck, Brings the dusty siller; ..."
2. The Works of Robert Burns by Robert Burns (1877)
"HEY, the dusty Miller, And his dusty coat, He will win a shilling, Or he spend a groat: Dusty was the coat, Dusty was the colour, Dusty was the kiss That I ..."
3. The Poetry of Robert Burns by Robert Burns (1897)
"THE dusty miller No. 144 in Johnson (Vol. ii. 1788): Unsigned, but Burns's holograph copy is in the British Museum. Stenhouse says vaguely that the verses ..."
4. The Complete Poetical Works of Robert Burns by Robert Burns, William Ernest Henley (1897)
"O, the dusty miller." HEY the dusty miller And bis dusty coat I Or he win a groat. Dusty was the coat, Dusty was the colour, Dusty was the kiss That I gat ..."
5. A Complete Word and Phrase Concordance to the Poems and Songs of Robert by J. B. Reid (1889)
"Hey, the dusty miller, S. Hey, the dusty miller \ Dusty was the kiss That I got frae the ... For the dusty miller. Ib. But a Miller us'd him worst of all, . ..."
6. The Scottish Songs by Robert Chambers (1829)
"HEY, the dusty miller, Ere he spend a groat. Dusty was the coat, And his dusty coat! ... Leeze me on the calling Hey, the dusty miller, Fills the dusty peck ..."