Definition of Dovyalis
1. Noun. Small genus of sometimes spiny shrubs or small trees; Africa; India; Sri Lanka.
Generic synonyms: Dilleniid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Flacourtiaceae, Flacourtia Family, Flacourtiaceae
Member holonyms: Dovyalis Caffra, Kei Apple, Kei Apple Bush, Ceylon Gooseberry, Dovyalis Hebecarpa, Ketembilla, Ketembilla Tree, Kitambilla, Kitembilla
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dovyalis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dovyalis
Literary usage of Dovyalis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Select Extra-tropical Plants: Readily Eligible for Industrial Culture Or by Ferdinand von Mueller (1891)
"... which might be obtained from plants introduced, especially as this plant will grow in dry regions. dovyalis ..."
2. Plant Names, Scientific and Popular, Including in the Case of Each Plant the by Albert Brown Lyons (1900)
"Named for David Douglas, botanical explorer. Herbs. About 5 species, one in Europe; 4 in northwestern US 701. dovyalis, E. Meyer. Kei Apple. ..."
3. The Technologist (1863)
"... and much yellower when polished. It is extensively used in Tasmania for house flooring, and in construction of carpenters' tools. dovyalis ..."
4. Natal: An Illustrated Official Railway Guide and Handbook of General Information by Charles William Francis Harrison (1903)
"... (dovyalis rhamnoides), one or two species of Ficus, several species of Mimusops, Water- boom (Eugenia ..."
5. S. W. Silver & Co.'s Handbook to South Africa: Including the Cape Colony by S.W. Silver & Co (1880)
"... a name given to the fruit of dovyalis rhamnoides, Burch., and D. rotundifolia, Thunb., the latter of which is said to be delicious, making a very fine ..."