Definition of Pezizales
1. Noun. Order of mostly saprophytic fungi having cup-shaped ascocarps.
Generic synonyms: Fungus Order
Group relationships: Discomycetes, Subclass Discomycetes
Member holonyms: Family Pezizaceae, Pezizaceae, Family Sarcoscyphaceae, Sarcoscyphaceae, Family Helvellaceae, Helvellaceae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pezizales Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pezizales
Literary usage of Pezizales
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Moulds, Mildews, and Mushrooms: A Guide to the Systematic Study of the Fungi by Lucien Marcus Underwood (1899)
"Pezizales. The Pezizales or cup fungi form a very extensive group of mostly ... Of the ten families of Pezizales, nine * are represented in North America. ..."
2. Bulletin by Ohio Biological Survey (1915)
"If this be done, the group may well be distributed among the Pezizales. ... and is placed near the Pezizales, to which it seems to be closely related. ..."
3. Nature and Development of Plants by Carlton Clarence Curtis (1918)
"A Third Line Possibly Related to the Pezizales.—The following orders may not represent a single line of descent but there are certain features in their life ..."
4. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1909)
"... "Influence of Physical Factors on Transpiration," by AW Sampson and LM Allen; " Two Basidiomycetes New to Minnesota " and " The Pezizales, ..."
5. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"Apothecia and thallus leathery, waxy or carbonaceous, never gelatinous. ORDER Pezizales: sporocarp an apothecium. ..."