Definition of Morchella
1. Noun. Genus of edible fungi: morel.
Generic synonyms: Fungus Genus
Member holonyms: Morel, Common Morel, Morchella Esculenta, Sponge Morel, Sponge Mushroom
Group relationships: Family Helvellaceae, Helvellaceae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Morchella Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Morchella
Literary usage of Morchella
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Scottish Cryptogamic Flora, Or Coloured Figures and Descriptions of ...by Robert Kaye Greville by Robert Kaye Greville (1824)
"Pileus stipitate, lacunose, confluent with the stem, the surface wholly occupied by the hymenium. SPECIFIC CHARACTER. Morchella hybrida; pileo brevi, acuto, ..."
2. Journal of Botany, British and Foreign (1868)
"Morchella crassipes, Persoon, ' Synopsis Methodica Fungorum,' 1801, p. ... Morchella crassipes, Pers.. Section through walls of pileus. 3. ..."
3. Handbook of Practical Botany for the Botanical Laboratory and Private Student by Eduard Strasburger (1889)
"In order to investigate the structure of the hymenium of a highly-developed form of the Ascomycetes, we will take the Morell, Morchella esculenta. ..."
4. The Mushroom Book: A Popular Guide to the Identification and Study of Our by Nina Lovering Marshall (1901)
"G. esculenta GENUS Morchella The genus Morchella has the cap covered with a network of blunt ridges enclosing irregular depressed spaces. ..."
5. The Annals of Horticulture (1848)
"Morchella. — Pileus lacunose (pitted), confluent with the stipes, either at the margin or a little above it : hymenium occupying the whole outer surface. ..."