Definition of Lampris
1. Noun. Type genus of the Lampridae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Lampridae, Lampridae
Member holonyms: Lampris Regius, Moonfish, Opah, Lampris Guttatus, New World Opah
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lampris Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lampris
Literary usage of Lampris
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Fishes in the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1860)
"Lampris. pink or dirty-white tint. Inside of the mouth purplish or dark mulberry-red. ... Presented by JB Godfrey, Esq. 29. Lampris. Lampris, Retzius in Nya ..."
2. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Charles Hamilton Smith, Edward Pidgeon, John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1834)
"But one species is known, from the northern seas, (Lampris guttatus, Retz.)1; it attains a large size, is of a violet colour, spotted with white,and has the ..."
3. Catalogue of the Fishes in the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1860)
"... anal with two; the rays of the latter do not show any peculiarity. d. One inch long. Open sea. Presented by JB Godfrey, Esq. 29. Lampris. ..."
4. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"... but we cannot see that Lampris bears any affinity to the sticklebacks, or that the presence of ..."