Definition of Lanai Island
1. Noun. An island of central Hawaii; a pineapple-growing area.
Group relationships: Hawaiian Islands, Sandwich Islands
Generic synonyms: Island
Lanai Island Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lanai Island Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lanai Island
Literary usage of Lanai Island
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Report by United States Board on Geographic Names, United States Geographic Board (1916)
"Lahaina; District, Maui County; political subdivision in west Maui, including Lanai Island. Lahaina; Roadstead and Village, on west coast of west Maui; ..."
2. Hawaiki: The Original Home of the Maori; with a Sketch of Polynesian History by Stephenson Percy Smith (1904)
"Now in Hawaiian this would be Nanai; and as the change from r and / to n is common in Polynesian, we may see the origin of the name of Lanai Island, ..."
3. The Sun Almanac for (1898)
"Hawaii, Hawaii Island, Kauai Island, Niihau Island, Maui Island, Molokai Island, Lanai Island, Oahu Island, Towns and Cities. ..."
4. The Journal of the Polynesian Society by Polynesian Society (N.Z.) (1915)
"We are glad to see on page 115, note (21) that Nanai is an ancient name of Lanai Island, for this is the name given in one of the Rarotonga traditions to ..."
5. The Voyage of the "Wanderer,": From the Journals and Letters of C. and S by Charles J. Lambert (1883)
"J 5th, 6th Oct. At 2.30 AM this morning we sighted Lanai Island, and 7th Oct. 4 AM the island of Molokai; by daylight we were close up to Diamond Head, ..."