Definition of Psychoactive substance
1. Noun. A drug that can produce mood changes and distorted perceptions.
Specialized synonyms: Designer Drug, Dronabinol, Euphoriant, Hallucinogen, Hallucinogenic Drug, Psychedelic Drug, Psychodelic Drug, Tetrahydrocannabinol, Thc
Generic synonyms: Drug
Lexicographical Neighbors of Psychoactive Substance
Literary usage of Psychoactive substance
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Technologies for Understanding and Preventing Substance Abuse and Addiction by DIANE Publishing Company (1996)
"... and Some Other psychoactive substances The potential physiological, psychological, and behavioral effects of using the psychoactive substance shown are ..."
2. Preventing Tobacco Use Among Young People: A Report of the Surgeon General by M. Joycelyn Elders (1997)
"Nicotine dependence is classified as a psychoactive substance-use disorder characterized by "a cluster of cognitive, behavioral, and physiologic symptoms ..."
3. Drug Identification and Testing in the Juvenile Justice System by Anne H. Crowe (1998)
"They were able to determine -which illicit drugs -were most popular among youth and to follow changing trends in psychoactive substance use. ..."
4. Assessing Alcohol Problems: A Guide for Clinicians and Researchers by John P. Allen, Megan Columbus (1997)
"Target Population Administrative Issues Scoring Psychometrics Adolescents Specially helpful with adolescents with psychoactive substance use disorder, ..."
5. Health Consequences of Smoking: Nicotine Addiction a Report of the Surgeon by DIANE Publishing Company, C. Everett Koop, M.D. (1995)
"Specific diagnostic criteria for psychoactive substance dependence are shown ... The APA designated 10 classes of psychoactive substance for which use may ..."
6. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: State of the Science, Best Practicesby Peter S. Jensen, James R. Cooper by Peter S. Jensen, James R. Cooper (2002)
"Comorbidity of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and the psychoactive substance use disorders. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 45, 421-435. ..."
7. Management of Alcohol and Drug-Related Issues in the Workplace by DIANE Publishing Company (1997)
"Alcohol-related mental and behavioural disorders are classified as psychoactive substance use disorders in ICD-10.1 Alcohol and drug dependence: As a ..."