Definition of Pitressin
1. Noun. Hormone secreted by the posterior pituitary gland (trade name Pitressin) and also by nerve endings in the hypothalamus; affects blood pressure by stimulating capillary muscles and reduces urine flow by affecting reabsorption of water by kidney tubules.
Generic synonyms: Pressor, Vasoconstrictive, Vasoconstrictor, Endocrine, Hormone, Internal Secretion
Language type: Trade Name
Medical Definition of Pitressin
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pitressin
Literary usage of Pitressin
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Journal of Comparative Pathology and Therapeutics (1888)
"Throughout this report doses will be quoted entirely in International Units and where comparison of potency is made between "Pitocin" and "pitressin" it ..."
2. Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine (1903)
"The LH releasing ability of 0.02 mU/ml AVP, however, is contradictory to previous reports in which only high concentrations of pitressin released LH after ..."
3. The Oxford Medicine by Henry Asbury Christian, James Mackenzie (1920)
"This abnormality yields readily to administration of pituitary extract or of one of its active principles, pitressin. Recently, an extract of the mam- ..."
4. Ending the War Metaphor: The Changing Agenda for Unraveling the Host-Microbe by Forum on Microbial Threats, Institute of Medicine (U.S.) (2006)
"... that is hypo responsive to norepinephrine and pitressin Mesenchymal core is less cellular: reduced immune population (see below) ..."
5. Disability Evaluation Under Social Security edited by Barry Leonard (1999)
"... before or after surgery; or B. Unresponsiveness to pitressin; or C. Growth retardation as described under the criteria in 100.02A and B; ..."