Definition of Pisum
1. Noun. Small genus of variable annual Eurasian vines: peas.
Generic synonyms: Rosid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Papilionoideae, Subfamily Papilionoideae
Member holonyms: Pea, Pea Plant, Common Pea, Garden Pea, Garden Pea Plant, Pisum Sativum
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pisum
Literary usage of Pisum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1917)
"PART I. INTRODUCTION.2 Since the publication of Lock's summary of the genetic work on pisum in 1908, numerous new studies by Tschermak, Hoshino, ..."
2. Forage Plants and Their Culture by Charles Vancouver Piper (1914)
"In contrast with the various kinds of beans, peas never cause digestive disturbances. PEA (pisum sativum) 530. Botany and history of the pea. ..."
3. Catholicon anglicum: an English-Latin wordbook, dated 1483 by Sidney John Hervon Herrtage (1881)
"1 'A Pease, pisum. Fr. pois.' Baret. One of those worda which froni their appearance and sound have been incorrectly considered as plurals. ..."
4. The Power of Movement in Plants by Charles Darwin, Francis Darwin (1900)
"... of amputating the tips obliquely—Effects of cauterising the tips—Effects of grease on the tips—pisum sativum, tips of radicles cauterised transversely, ..."
5. British Phaenogamous Botany, Or, Figures and Descriptions of the Genera of ...by W. (William) Baxter by W. (William) Baxter (1837)
"Sir WJ HOOKER remarks, that this plant has more the habit of a Lathyrus than of a pisum, though the style most resembles the ..."
6. Practical Physiology of Plants by Francis Darwin, Edward Hamilton Acton (1901)
"(4) Compare the diastatic power of the leaves of pisum sativum and Trifolium pratense ... pisum ..."