Definition of Pennsylvania
1. Noun. A Mid-Atlantic state; one of the original 13 colonies.
Geographical relationships: Battle Of Gettysburg, Gettysburg
Terms within: Penn, University Of Pennsylvania, Allentown, Altoona, Bethlehem, Erie, Gettysburg, Capital Of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, Chester, City Of Brotherly Love, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Alleghenies, Allegheny Mountains, Allegheny, Allegheny River, Blue Ridge, Blue Ridge Mountains, Lehigh River, Monongahela, Monongahela River, Susquehanna, Susquehanna River
Generic synonyms: American State
Group relationships: America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa, Mid-atlantic States
2. Noun. One of the British colonies that formed the United States.
3. Noun. A university in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Generic synonyms: University
Group relationships: Ivy League
Group relationships: Keystone State, Pa
Definition of Pennsylvania
1. Proper noun. A state of the United States of America. Capital: Harrisburg; largest city: Philadelphia. ¹
2. Proper noun. The first, and historically largest, now defunct US railroad, a hallmark of the industrial age. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pennsylvania
Literary usage of Pennsylvania
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1917)
"Am M 83:49- 50 F '17 pennsylvania Highway department Road exhibit of the pennsylvania ... Survey 37:597-8 F 24 '17 Law New industrial codes of pennsylvania. ..."
2. The Medical Clinics of North America by Michael C. Fiore, Stephen S. Entman, Charles B. Rush (1921)
"JAMES M. ANDERS, MD, Professor of Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, University of pennsylvania; Consulting Physician to the Jewish Hospital and to the ..."
3. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"It flows through the Chester Valley in pennsylvania and debouches at Wilmington, Del. The Swatara is an inconsiderable stream, but its water gap is like the ..."
4. Annual Report by New Jersey Civil Service Commission (1910)
"The Western New York and pennsylvania Railway Company is operated by The ... The pennsylvania Railroad Company was incorporated by authority of a special ..."
5. Journal: 1st-13th Congress . Repr. 14th Congress, 1st Session by United States Congress. House (1837)
"Mr. Sergeant presented like memorials of inhabitants of the city and county of Philadelphia, in the State of pennsylvania. Mr. Mathias Morris presented like ..."
6. Publishers Weekly by Publishers' Board of Trade (U.S.), Book Trade Association of Philadelphia, American Book Trade Union, Am. Book Trade Association, R.R. Bowker Company (1908)
"Jackson, MK Outlines of the literary history of colonial pennsylvania. ... Eastman, FM Treatise on the law rel. to private corporations [in pennsylvania. ..."