Definition of Pennoncelle
1. Noun. A small pennant borne on a lance.
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pennoncelle
Literary usage of Pennoncelle
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Grammar of British Heraldry, Consisting of Blazon and Marshalling ; with by William Sloane Sloane-Evans (1854)
"The pennoncelle was still smaller. This (as well as the two last) was merely ornamented with the Crest and single devices, but not the Arms. 5. ..."
2. Archaeologia Aeliana, Or, Miscellaneous Tracts Relating to Antiquity (1860)
"Standard and pennoncelle. A Hue bugle-horn, garnished in gold, for Bryan. ... A silver locket within the horns of a silver crescent. pennoncelle. ..."
3. A Glossary of Terms Used in Heraldry by Henry Gough, James Parker (1894)
"A demi-lion argent issuing from a ducal Forked pennon, coronet, and holding a pennoncelle gules charged with a lion passant gardant or, the staff of the ..."
4. A First Class Reader: Consisting of Extracts, in Prose and Verse, with by George Stillman Hillard (1861)
"... as he rode, projected backwards, and displayed its little pennoncelle,* to dally with. the faint breeze, or drop in the dead calm. ..."