Definition of Organization of american states
1. Noun. An association including most countries in the western hemisphere; created in 1948 to promote military and economic and social and cultural cooperation.
Generic synonyms: Global Organization, International Organisation, International Organization, World Organisation, World Organization
Member holonyms: Antigua And Barbuda, Argentina, Argentine Republic, Chile, Republic Of Chile, Colombia, Republic Of Colombia, Costa Rica, Republic Of Costa Rica, Guatemala, Republic Of Guatemala, Honduras, Republic Of Honduras, El Salvador, Republic Of El Salvador, Salvador, Panama, Republic Of Panama, Mexico, United Mexican States, Cuba, Republic Of Cuba, Haiti, Republic Of Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Barbados, Republic Of Trinidad And Tobago, Trinidad And Tobago, Commonwealth Of Dominica, Dominica, Ecuador, Republic Of Ecuador, Bahama Islands, Bahamas, Commonwealth Of The Bahamas, Bolivia, Republic Of Bolivia, Brasil, Brazil, Federative Republic Of Brazil, Grenada, Paraguay, Republic Of Paraguay, Peru, Republic Of Peru, Federation Of Saint Kitts And Nevis, Saint Christopher-nevis, Saint Kitts And Nevis, St. Christopher-nevis, St. Kitts And Nevis, Saint Lucia, St. Lucia, Saint Vincent And The Grenadines, St. Vincent And The Grenadines, Dutch Guiana, Netherlands Guiana, Republic Of Suriname, Surinam, Suriname, America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa, Uruguay, Republic Of Venezuela, Venezuela
Lexicographical Neighbors of Organization Of American States
Literary usage of Organization of american states
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Searching For Partners: Regional Organizations And Peace Operations by William Lewis, Edward Marks (1999)
"Organization of American States With the end of the Cold War, Latin America has begun the arduous process of reconceptualizing the basic crisis management ..."
2. Landmine Monitor Report 1999: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (1999)
"... Organization of American States ASSISTANCE PROGRAM FOR DEMINING IN CENTRAL AMERICA Unit for the Promotion of Democracy Organization of ..."
3. Report of the Congressional Committees Investigating the Iran/Contra Affair by Lee H. Hamilton, Daniel K. Inouye (1995)
"... the Charter of the Organization of American States which declares that no state has the right to intervene, directly or indirectly, for any reason ..."
4. Landmine Monitor Report 2000: Toward a Mine-Free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (2000)
"... organization of american states Report of the OAS Mine Action Program Given the importance of an integrated and comprehensive response to the crisis ..."