Definition of North star state
1. Noun. A midwestern state.
Group relationships: Middle West, Midwest, Midwestern United States, America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa
Terms within: Voyageurs National Park, Bemidji, Duluth, Hibbing, Mankato, Minneapolis, Rochester, Saint Cloud, St. Cloud, Capital Of Minnesota, Saint Paul, St. Paul, Twin Cities, Virginia, Little Sioux River, Mesabi Range
Generic synonyms: American State
Lexicographical Neighbors of North Star State
Literary usage of North star state
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Minnesota Horticulturist by Minnesota State Horticultural Society (1894)
""The fruit exhibit of the North Star state is indeed a revelation and is so systematically and compactly arranged as to be set off to the best possible ..."
2. Flags of the World by Byron McCandless, Gilbert Hovey Grosvenor (1917)
"... at the top, is made up of three stars, one of them larger than the others, typifying the North Star and representing the "north star state. ..."
3. A Popular School History of the United States: In which are Inserted as Part by John Jacob Anderson (1880)
"The familiar appellation of Minnesota is the north star state. On its seal are the words L'etoile du Nord, the Star of the North. Oregon. ..."
4. Manual of Useful Information: Embracing More Than 100,000 Facts, Figures and by J. C. Thomas (1893)
"... Maryland, Monumental State; Massachusetts, Old Bay State; Michigan, Wolverine and Peninsular State; Minnesota, Gopher and north star state; Mississippi, ..."
5. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1911)
"... the north star state (Boston, 1908), m the " American Commonwealth series "; ED Neill's Concise History of Minnesota (Minneapolis, 1887); and TH Kirk's ..."