Definition of Muskhogean
1. Noun. A member of any of the peoples formerly living in southeastern United States and speaking Muskhogean languages.
Generic synonyms: American Indian, Indian, Red Indian
Specialized synonyms: Alabama, Choctaw, Hitchiti, Koasati, Muskogee, Seminole
2. Noun. A family of North American Indian languages spoken in the southeastern United States.
Generic synonyms: American Indian, American-indian Language, Amerind, Amerindian Language, Indian
Specialized synonyms: Alabama, Chickasaw, Chahta, Choctaw, Hitchiti, Koasati, Muskogee, Seminole
Lexicographical Neighbors of Muskhogean
Literary usage of Muskhogean
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Native Cemeteries and Forms of Burial East of the Mississippi by David Ives Bushnell (1920)
"muskhogean GROUPS The southern pine lands, from the Mississippi to the Atlantic and from the lowlands of the Gulf coast to the southern Alleghenies, ..."
2. Indian Linguistic Families of America, North of Mexico by John Wesley Powell (1891)
"All of this territory was held by muskhogean tribes except the small areas occupied by the Yuchi, ..."
3. Indian Tribes of the Lower Mississippi Valley and Adjacent Coast of the Gulf by John Reed Swanton (1911)
"It is possible that the group of mounds just south of Marksville, one of which is shown in plate 12, a, was erected by them. muskhogean TRIBES PROPER THE ..."