Definition of Moth orchid
1. Noun. Any of various orchids of the genus Phalaenopsis having often drooping glossy broad obovate or oval leaves usually dark green flushed purple or mottled grey and silver.
Generic synonyms: Orchid, Orchidaceous Plant
Group relationships: Genus Phalaenopsis, Phalaenopsis
Specialized synonyms: Butterfly Plant, Phalaenopsis Amabilis
Lexicographical Neighbors of Moth Orchid
Literary usage of Moth orchid
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Missouri Botanical Garden Bulletin by Missouri botanical garden (1913)
"Other interesting forms which either are in flower or shortly will be, are the elephant moth orchid (Dendrobium ..."
2. The Gardens of the Sun; Or, A Naturalist's Journal on the Mountains and in by Frederick William Burbidge (1880)
"... and just now opening its golden-brown spotted flowers on stout spikes two yards long. There, on, that topmost branch, is a mass of the moth orchid, ..."
3. The Florist and Pomologist: A Pictorial Monthly Magazine of Flowers, Fruits by Robert Hogg (1883)
"80], a pretty Bornean moth orchid, stemless, with deflexed distichous ligulate glossy green leave«, ..."
4. Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society by Royal Horticultural Society (Great Britain). (1889)
"... and a noble specimen of the white moth orchid (Phalaenopsis grandiflora). Messrs. Heath & Son, of Cheltenham, sent a curious form of Odontoglossum ..."
5. Journal of Horticulture, Cottage Gardener and Country Gentlemen (1875)
"... the moth orchid, is most useful at this season; but those who are fortunate enough to possess a dozen plants of it may have it in flower nearly all the ..."