Definition of Middle west
1. Noun. The north central region of the United States (sometimes called the heartland or the breadbasket of America).
Terms within: Rustbelt, Il, Illinois, Land Of Lincoln, Prairie State, Hoosier State, In, Indiana, Hawkeye State, Ia, Iowa, Kansas, Ks, Sunflower State, Great Lakes State, Mi, Michigan, Wolverine State, Gopher State, Minnesota, Mn, North Star State, Missouri, Mo, Show Me State, Cornhusker State, Ne, Nebraska, Buckeye State, Oh, Ohio, Badger State, Wi, Wisconsin
Generic synonyms: Geographic Area, Geographic Region, Geographical Area, Geographical Region
Group relationships: America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa
Lexicographical Neighbors of Middle West
Literary usage of Middle west
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Education by Project Innovation (Organization) (1919)
"Never before in the history of the world was the particular contribution of the middle west so much appreciated as during the great crisis we have just ..."
2. The Frontier in American History by Frederick Jackson Turner (1920)
"IV THE middle west* American sectional nomenclature is still confused. ... The "middle west" is a term variously used by the public, but for the purpose of ..."
3. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1916)
"Am Hist Assn Kept 1912:87-94 middle west Attitude of the middle west. ... Give me the good old middle west, by a man who was never ¡n New York. ..."
4. Transactions of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers by American Institute of Electrical Engineers (1914)
"THE CONDITIONS in such states of the middle west as Illinois, Indiana, ... But many of the richest agricultural districts of the middle west are without ..."
5. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1909)
"No later figures than these of 1904 have been tabulated. a moment's hesitation the missionary organizations of the East and middle west, with the loyal ..."
6. The Social Welfare Forum: Official Proceedings ... Annual Forum by National Conference on Social Welfare, American Social Science Association, Conference of Charities (U.S., Conference of Charities (U.S.), National Conference of Social Work (U.S. (1920)
"THE CITIES OF THE middle west CM Hubbard, General Manager, Provident Association, St. Louis I have been asked to present a report of money-raising for ..."
7. Cyclopedia of American Government by Andrew Cunningham McLaughlin, Albert Bushnell Hart (1914)
""middle west" has been applied of late years to those states between the Appalachians ... The middle west is substantially the eastern upper valley of the ..."